Apr 1, 2012

When fantasy meets reality

I see kink as a way of setting ourselves free by restraint. We limit ourselves through negotiation, safewords and concepts such as Risk Aware Consensual Kink or Safe Sane and Consensual. The reason we do so is to be able to undertake things that in themselves could not and should not be accepted by us, society or our own conscience. By so restraining ourselves we’re free to hurt, humiliate, force, bind and so on exactly because we force ourselves to reflect and make sure that we never end up doing something that is really bad. By making our fantasies reciprocal, pleasurable and ultimately healthy for both parties, we can make something beautiful out of impulses and fantasies that might not be so beautiful in their raw form.

Kink, in other words, is a marriage between responsibility and emancipation and between what is ugly and what is beautiful. But it is also marrying the hottest fantasies and the daily grind most of us also have to navigate – where relationships, careers and all sorts of other things have to fit together with our Kink. Being kinky, we do not believe in limiting imagination or perversion, but we live in reality.

Finding out that the side of me that is attracted to seeing women suffer and lose control could become something beautiful is one of the best things that have happened to me in my life. Whether or not I actually live my dominance and sadism, I’m significantly happier and more comfortable being me having accepted this part of me, and found it something good. Like so many other movements of its kind, the emancipation in Kink is very personal at its first step: it starts with us, not anyone else. Freedom starts with accepting that it’s ok to be me; finding out how to have fun with it comes second.

Ironically it’s when we get to all those fun parts that things get complicated. At least for me it is. I’ve been more of a whole person and have had a much higher self-esteem throughout the nearly five years I’ve owned up to this part of me. But finding that balance between fantasy and reality remains a challenge – and may well be so for the rest of my life.

To me kink is not being without limits, but taking control and responsibility for my limits. It’s liberation, but with freedom comes responsibility.  It’s not a chance to make someone hurt without consequence, but sadism with a conscience. It means that I don’t have to be ashamed of my darker fantasies, but there still are many of those that I could not live with a clear conscience. It also means that I am confronted again and again, with people who have other limits to how far they can and should live their kink than I; that I keep meeting the opportunity of going a little longer in pursuit of pleasure. BDSM might in many ways be about saying ‘yes’, it is also often an exercise in saying ‘no’.

It is often not an easy compromise to make. There are times when I’m ‘sexed’ and feel myself attracted to the most uncompromising fantasies, even some that I couldn’t condone anyone living out. Even though Kink emancipates us, there will always be a distance between those things that have to work in the real world of boring everyday life and the world of fantasies. The grass will always, or at least often, seem greener on the other side of the fence, whichever way we end up balancing fantasy and reality in our lives. And I must admit that I have never been in a relationship without now and then dreaming about something that was a little more out there, purer, less tainted by compromise and with less resistance to worry about as a dominant. I am thankful that I have at least one time experienced letting go of that dream of that ‘something more’, knowing that what I had was what I really wanted, and that all the rest would pale after the first excitement and the first cum.

 I don’t know how far I will end up going in my kink. I don’t know how far I and my partner will go in the compromise between our sexual and kinky life, and all the rest that is also important and valuable in our lives. That depends a whole lot on me, my partner, and also where we are in our lives. What I do know is what I don’t want. I know that there is a lot more to me than my kink, and that the girls I’ve loved I loved for so much more than their kink – even though I do tend to love the girls I hurt. I know that I am humane before I am sadistic, that meeting another person and seeing what is beautiful in her, and embracing that and building something beautiful together is fundamental to me. Kink is a medium; a way of being together, that makes me able to see things that are beautiful in my love, and between us, that would have otherwise been hidden. But it is still a medium; a way of loving, not love itself.

I’ve spent too long letting myself be limited by labels. Of seeing a Master/slave-relationship as this or that thing, that I on the one hand couldn’t live, but still longed for – or thinking that I had to be in one certain way in my relationship, because we chose to bind ourselves to the label of her being slave. Relationships are living things and, while we build on shared fantasies and ideals, like she being owned, ideals without compromise become oppressive and fantasies that do not allow for us to grow, and sometimes change, may become nightmares. The idea that you have to be in any other way than what feels right for you and your partner, in order to live up to some kind of label or lifestyle is only to the loss of those preaching and trying to live it, instead of living their own lives and their own kink.

From now on my resolution will be to deny absolutes and embrace the fact that Kink is about compromise. And that there shall be no one preaching to neither me, nor my love, what our relationship should be about (apart from consensual, healthy fun with a good dose of communication, reflection and responsibility) no matter what we choose to call ourselves.

Sometimes I feel rather thick-sculled when I think about how much time, thinking and confusion it sometimes takes me to reach such simple points. Yet I hope some of you out there in some way benefit from my writing about my confusion.

/ I 

No comments:

Post a Comment